Saturday, November 20, 2004

the ring

i can't whistle while i work because i just plain out and out can't whistle. dad used to try to bribe me into whistling with cash, etc, in the same manner that i was prodded onto a bicycle. but it just never worked. my sister beth is the same way--no such luck.

so anyway while i was working around the house i was thinking. i mean, when is anyone not thinking, but kind of quiet focused, what else do i have to get done today thinking. in the bedroom, after a long bout of solitude with just me and the green dusty Comet cleanser vs. the shower stall, i came across the ring dan gave me ages and ages ago, obviously when we were much younger and more idealistic.

it means a lot to me yet, that ring. when i look at it, i'm reminded of being hopeful about life in general, and college, and being on my own for the first time, away from parents and restrictions. it brings me back to bemidji and roommates i didn't know, life in the dorms, and a much more youthful version of the relationship of which i am currently a half.

that ring opened up such a can of worms. dan had sent my parents a letter stating his intentions--kudos to dan, that's risky if anything in my family, and it took guts to do it. no one faces each other about any of the Big Issues. it just doesn't happen. additionally, my parents are stout catholics, and dan is anything but.

not that i consider myself a catholic at this point by any means, but to my parents, i'm still at least a christian. that's a thought for another day.

anyway dan sent this letter and my parents responded with a letter of their own about how there were other fish in the sea, we were young, etc. we bought a ring anyway, our own little show of solidarity, and the shit hit the fan after mom and dad found out. i can still remember all the crying.

for ten years i think i've carried that around with me, the disapproval. i held it like newspaper wrapped around something cherished, put it in a box, and decided not to look back.

over the last few months it's been sitting on one shoulder. my sister got hitched; darin and cathy are engaged. that box of disapproval has moved with me from one house to another, prodded my relationship into strange fits of angst, and lately, been opened up again.

the only cliche that comes to mind is "bad taste in my mouth." i can pattern anything over it--we don't have enough money, i don't want to piss anyone off by doing it my way, etc--but in the end when i opened up that little gray jcpenney box and saw the ring again, a little part of me said, what the hell have you been waiting for? ragnarok? do you want to call dan your husband? do you want to be his wife? you already know the answer. so what's the hold up?

when i shut it i could see what hung over that ring like that cloud following pigpen--the parental glare, the hurt i felt when dad wouldn't talk to me, the constant battering of my extended family as to all the reasons why we should wait. i think i translated that into a real "well, screw you too" mentality. the harder people pushed, the harder i just shut down. today, all i ever hear is "so, when are you going to tie the knot?" and all i can think i, "you know, when *I* wanted to tie the knot, you all were so against it that i didn't do it, just to win back your approval. i lived with dan all this time, kind of my own protest against your shoving."

anyway what i'm getting at is that i really have grown up. a lot of the things that used to bother me when i was younger--hell, they'll always bother me as i age. nothing will ever rub out that feeling of abandonment i had when my parents found out about this ring.

i guess i'm past the denial stage. well into acceptance. i'd like to put that ring back on my finger again; maybe a different ring, maybe the same ring. i'd like to be proud of the relationship i have with dan, and not feel like i'm constantly trying to make up for it, or hide it, from my parents. it's a big step for me, something that i guess i've been given signs about over the last months, but just been too blind to see, or too deaf to hear. or too busy to concentrate on.

maybe i should learn to whistle.

2 comments:

Serena said...

Congrats! Both for getting to that stage, and for acknowledging how big the hurt was.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, 'cuz God knows, I need more married friends... :)

Anonymous said...

I think that part of a parent's revenge for having to put up with the screaming and the pooping and the puking is that they become masters of the guilt trip, and choose every opportunity to inflict it upon their children. This goes double if your parents are of the Catholic persuasion. Us two, we could write a book about that phenomenon, I swear.

The sad thing is, when I've confronted my mom about some of the things she rails against me about, she denies trying to guilt-trip me at all. In her mind, she's not doing that; she's just expressing parental concern. Problem is, particularly when you've hit the almighty age of 18-and-I-am-an-adult-now-and-have-been-instilled-with-the-wisdom-of-the-universe-so-stop-telling-me-what-to-do, everything turns into a challenge. "I think you should really check the oil in the car, honey." "I'm AN ADULT NOW, YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!" :P

The problem with the guilt trip is that it's cumulative. You carry this guilt with you, no matter how old. It's like a lump of scar tissue in your psyche; you can almost *feel* it, rumbling around and rubbing up against your ego every time you try to live your life according to your plans. Other people will always have expectations for how we should be, and some of the time, they very much conflict with what we want, no matter how ill-advised our actions. And we hang onto those things for years. Sometimes, we don't even realize we're doing it; it just manifests itself as that nagging, sickening sensation in the pit of your stomach that tells you you're doing it all *wrong*.

One of the things I've had to learn for myself is that people have power over me only if I give it to them. And yes, I might disappoint some people, but in the end, if I'm happy with the outcome, and I haven't killed or totally trampled someone in my pursuits, then it's not all bad. I've also learned that no matter how hard I try, I'm not going to be able to please everyone, and my main goal should be trying to make sure that I myself am happy. That, I think, in the long run, is what is most important for living your life and not being completely under the cloud of the guilt trip. The other fun thing is that when you are happy, others around you pick up on that, which brings everything around full-circle.

I don't know if any of this made sense. I'm such an armchair philosopher, sometimes. XD But if nothing else, believe me, I do understand where you're coming from, even if I took a different road to get there. *hugs*

And whistling is highly overrated. I do it wrong, anyway; I whistle through my teeth. :P

--Sara