Friday, November 26, 2004

5 Things I Should Be Doing Right Now...

1. Looking for a new car.
2. Eating something healthier than cookie dough.
3. Doing yoga and/or checking my bill due dates.
4. Cleaning up dishes in the kitchen.
5. Working on that never ending story I've typed.

So on to 5 Things I've Done Instead...

1. Checked ALL my email.
2. Checked my message board.
3. Checked blogs.
4. Finished a cheesy romance novel, and I mean CHEESY. This was nearing the point of Velveeta, right up a step from Cheez Whiz, but not into E-z Cheez.
5. Getting distracted by the flashing cursor.

I am an excercise in procrastination lately. When I say that I say it with gusto; I'm well aware of my lack of giddy-up, and make a note daily to myself that I really have a lot to get accomplished.

And then I reach for the comfort of a book that will make me smile and life's said and done, and I can hearken back to the Victorian age and men who are ruggedly handsome, wickedly sexy, well-spoken, sandalwood-scented and accomplished horsemen. Yum.

You know how sometimes you crave crap that you know is horrible for you? Like the aforementioned cookie dough. I go through bouts of conscience during which I read things that are considered nice and literary--Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club, or some well written fantasy, etc. And then I go in jags where I crave Lady Edna and her dashing saviour-on-a-barely-rideable-black-stallion, Sir Frank, and all the smut that entails.

It's like a guilty pleasure to find a romance novel that's well written and amusing, and doesn't have so much graphic explanation that I blush. So for the moment, allow me to tout my latest guilt trip, Julia Quinn. She has good grammar, simplistic and believable plots, and characters that make me laugh out loud.

Talk about escapism. This is worse than craving chocolate one time a month.

In the same breath, I've got a pile of books about two feet high building up by my bed, which includes all kinds of stuff other than her.

I may be in denial. But that's on my list of 5 Things I Have To Do Saturday...

1. Face reality.
2. Test drive at least one car.
3. Drop off accumulated stuff at the thrift store.
4. Bake a cake for girly craft night.
5. Find something else to read so I don't feel so...dirty. But it's dirty in a good way, right? Yeah.

No comments: