Tuesday, August 24, 2004

into the fusion reactor

Ah, Ivanova...I miss Bab 5. Sometimes. I miss Firefly more--it was more my speed, the diaster of life heaped on chaos. Babylon 5 is much more linear and organized.

But I digress...what I wanted to discuss today was obsession. I get hooked on things sometimes and then months later I wonder at the fury of my obsession at that previous time. One time I was caught by Bab 5. Another time it was Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter. Books and series of books hook and catch in my mind like snags in a nylon, captivating flotsam in the jetsam of media crossing the ol' cranial channel.

Lately I've gotten obsessed with Stargate. Eeep. It's fun and fast paced, lots of humor, a good escapist bit of fancy. I guess that's what I go through life looking for--the perfect getaway hatch. The one marked "nirvana," or "chocolate." Is it the endorphin release? I look forward to some aspects of life with the joy of a child, others with the optimism of someone carrying Lysol into the bathroom. What is it about things that catch my interest? Sparkly and bright things, perhaps? It used to be this joke at work, perpetuated by my friend Cari, about how everyone with keys needed to leave the room because otherwise I'd be distracted by the bright jangly objects.

Which is too close to the truth. I can't stay focused on one thing long enough to let it capture my interest. And if it does, it burns so brightly that it's difficult to stretch my eyeballs away from what is going on over yonder.

I give. Right now I'm yearning to see some more Stargate, just to get out of the life I'm in and get into the lives of someone else--the erstwhile MacGyver who's gotten much better looking with age, mmmmmm Michael Shanks, the cracking humor, the newness of it, at least to me.

Tonight as I'm sitting here Dan's watching Babylon 5...Ivanova's mentioning the fusion reactor, and that she'd like to toss some choice folks into it. And I dwell on that line: into the fusion reactor. I think I'm staring into it.

2 comments:

Iszilzha said...

Your welcome. Just doing my duty to get more people hooked on a good SciFi show that hasn't been canceled by Fox.

Serena said...

Hasn't been cancelled by Fox because Fox didn't get their grubby paws on it!