Sunday, September 12, 2004

Weekend is shot...

Literally. LOL This weekend was my dad's 3rd annual Shoot In--which bascially means that everyone gets together and heads over to the shooting range in St Cloud to sight in their rifles, and we all show up and shoot them at targets, just for fun. I really enjoy firing guns; however, the kick always leaves my shoulder feeling somewhat bruised.

Also this year I was hesitant after having my dad's 30.06 give me some scope bite last year. Luckily I had my glasses on, so it just leapt backwards and gave me a little bruise on my nose. This year I was eager to shoot again, but I didn't want to have it jump back again, so I only talked myself into shooting twice. I did hit the target (one shot actually hit the bull's eye! yay!) and Dan suggested that we look into getting a .22 so I can actually have fun shooting and all that jazz.

However the overriding issue from the weekend was my sisters. I love both of them dearly, like you do. (: They are two of my best friends on the planet. I know them better than I know myself sometimes, which is normal considering the amount of time I've both known them and lived with them.

Anyway, they're often like oil and water. Sara's very aggressive and goal oriented; Beth's very defensive. The whole thing started when, three or four or five months ago, Sara decided that we could all pick out our own dresses. So we did; Jan's is short and very fitting, mine's longer and has a cute handkerchief bottom, and Beth's is a simple sheathe with a cowl neck. They're all great dresses, all of them black, but Sara hadn't seen Beth's yet; just heard that it was a little low cut.

It all culminated last night, oil and water, when Beth refused to try on the dress for Sara.

It's hard because you know these people so well that you can see things happening, wheels turning, and when Beth brought out the dress and Sara had a little intake of breath, I knew what would happen. Beth went defensive. Sara went on the hunt. And before you could defuse the situation, Beth was crying and asking us all to leave her apartment. Yay. What a wonderful weekend.

I felt like yesterday was a return to childhood, or at least puberty. Sara and I spent the afternoon before shooting going through boxes we hadn't seen since my family moved about 8 or 9 years ago; lots of stuff from high school and such, lots of laughs, memories, the usual. Then at dinner, post shooting, we sat around listening to Dee Snider on House of Hair and doing Mad Libs. Total flashback. And then to cap things off, we have the complete reversion of roles and ages and maturity levels and we all drop back to being between 8 and 13 years old and doing things to push buttons.

Dan and I ended up leaving for home last night, just because I didn't want to take sides. I've since spoken to Mom and Sara, as Beth's working. Today was also catch up with everyone day--I talked to another Sara from college for a good hour, just chewed the proverbial fat and laughed, which is always lovely. (: Still waiting to chat w/ Serena and Cari today, and also read my payroll books, which I'm putting off because they're about as fun as reading about the life of a slug. Which could be infintely more interesting than reading about 941 forms. I'm trying to remember that this is learning, and that I like to learn, and expand my knowledge base and keep my memory active, but I'm just bored. I don't want to read it; I'd rather do anything BUT read it. I also still have to run to the grocery store and find something to eat during the week. And dig up a peice of luggage, and pack, you name it.

Also find something to do in Chicago. Something fun and not terribly time consuming. Sara suggested Little Italy and the Museum of Science and Industry; so maybe we'll try that.

All I know is at the moment I'm having that dichotomy you get the older you get--the balance between past, present and future. HG Wells thought he was creating a time machine story unto itself but we all have that time machine present and accounted for in our own brain cells. Right now I'm living in two or three worlds at a time--one of them is apparently still not graduated from high school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luckily, since high school I have been able to cut my hair!

dan

Serena said...

Hey, I think everyone has days like that, when it's like being in 7th grade all over again!