Wednesday, October 25, 2006

insomnia

in the dark
beneath the skin
i wake
lids peeling like oranges
eyes gritty with unslept dreams

in the dark
where i have prayed for release
from unending dawn
i sit up on edge of bed
curl one leg into the comforter
gray cat thuds against my side, purr
rumbling marrow

in the dark
your seige on slumber
rages on, you roll over
small countries shaped like
a green and purple crocheted blanket
breathe deep and deeper

in the dark
i surrender, my war
lost
i rise and pad on pink toes
running from my battlefield
i envy
your fight

3 comments:

jedimerc said...

Interesting allusion to war and battle in comparison to sleep and lack of sleep. I have been through nights like this many a time myself, and lose too often as well.

Great imagery though, and very well written.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this poem, if 'enjoy' is the right word ombren :( god the awfulness of dawn....

alison said...

Where are you, Ombren?