Thursday, July 21, 2005

control

when i interviewed at the job i have now, someone asked me how i stayed on top of things while in college. i answered honestly: my day planner. i carried that thing EVERYWHERE and it helped immensely.

it had to be one that got my attention; i went through a lot of gary larsen's far side cartoon calendars, because they were fun and i'd remember to check them. but i also had my fair share of fun notebooks, each page dated and scribbled all over.

since i got out of college and haven't had to schlep around a backpack, and my purse is smaller, i stopped carrying one. my life has become overrun because i never know where i'm going or when i have to be there. dan got me my darby conley's get fuzzy cartoon dayplanner and i still have had issues remembering to use it, or take it with me.

however over the past few days i've been trying VERY HARD to remember to bring it with me. it's been difficult, i will admit that, but my current purse is making it easier because it's large and the dayplanner fits in it.

so that's what i'm doing now--rescheduling an appointment, making notes. it's nice to go back later and see what i had going on at that time, why it seemed so busy, when something happened. it gives me back something that i haven't felt i had for a long time, and something i usually maintain that i don't want to have: control.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember, back in college, when I went through your day planner and jotted down a stupid, made-up holiday for each week? "Happy Underpants Day!" "Happy Day Day!" "Happy Olive Day!" That was so much fun. Y'know, I think back to all of those lectures with Dr. Field and Dr. Gurney, and I honestly cannot for the life of me figure out why we never got in trouble. I remember having to fight so hard not to laugh, the entire desk was shaking.

See, that's what's wrong with your new day planner, why you can't get into the habit of using it regularly. I haven't gotten my hands on it and written in a whole bunch of crazy holidays. :P

Hang in there--I'm thinking of you!! *hugs*

--Sara

Nicole said...

I've been putting together a kind of support system here in blogland, made up of survivors of mental illness and their families. I was wondering if I could include your blog address? I explain it more on my blogs:

bipolarprincess.blogspot.com
takeastand4mentalillness.blogspot.com

Email me! nicolep_75@yahoo.com