Sunday, December 12, 2004

brownies and time machines and whining, oh my!

i'm supposed to be baking 66 brownies for my work cookie exchange today. why brownies, you ask? because i am a confirmed cookie killer.

don't laugh, the only cookies i can bake with authority and panache are peanut butter.

everything else ends up with singed edges or uncooked middles. it's not a beautiful thing. edible, barely, but beautiful, no.

so i rely on bars. i'm a big fan of them--my faves being chocolate chip cookie bars. simple, homey, and moist. YUM. but for a christmas exchange i'm doing brownies, actually brudgies (serena you know EXACTLY what i'm talking about LOL). it's a combo of a brownie and fudge--which turns into a very thick, very heavy brownie that is just delish. AND it's in bar form, so i just slice the pan when it's done and call it a day.

also it's a lovely windy day outside. i miss the wind enormously. up north when it was windy i'd hie myself out to the state park and stand out by the lake until my cheeks burned. i'm not sure it's *that* windy out right now but it sure is windy. luuuuuuuuuuuurvely. maybe i'll have time for a walk? who knows.

last night i drove up to my sister's house in south mpls and had whiskey steak with her and her new hubby. she made this sauce w/ the aforementioned whiskey that was absolutely divine. i'm not a big meat eater so that was a big thing for me--and she cooked that steak to perfection! i'm still getting drooly thinking about it. *sigh* there's just something about bloody red meat...rrrraaaar. serena, i'll have to see if i can get the recipe for that because it was simple and sooooooooo right up your alley. LOL

in other news...i'm avoiding car shopping. can i say that a bit louder, perhaps? i dislike salespeople and the cars down here are so overpriced that it makes me ill. dan and i drove through a few lots the other day and he was just appalled, having only been out once with me and not aware of my love affair with cars.com, keepitlocal.com, and nada.com. all of which are quite extensive sites, and all of which are easy to search, and all of which give me tics just thinking about going back to them right now.

additionally, i really, really, really don't want to go back to work on monday. i'm tired, i'm sick of being walked all over, and i'm too afraid of losing my job to speak up. on the plus side i get to do more training on tuesday. but this is going to require a VERY early morning tomorrow in order to get ready for the whole week and get my desk cleaned up. it wouldn't be so bad if all the crap on my desk didn't affect someone's bank account, federal id number, or tax filing come next april.

which is to when i'd like to skip. if someone gets in contact with h.g. wells let me know--i'm up for a test drive of THAT machine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My knitting is really what I have, now. This scarf is my first set of cables, and I'm knid-of addicted, I think. I just wish I had a cable needle ... That would make life a little easier.

I miss your brownies. It's been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long.

It's definitely that windy up here today. Even the Unitarians cancelled church this morning, because of the wind, snow, and the glare-Fing-ice that covers everything. It's crazy/beautiful.

HUGS!!!:) s*

Anonymous said...

I like cookies. Cookies don't like me. I remember this truly awful incident involving oatmeal raisin cookies...course, the last time I made chocolate chip cookies, they turned out perfect. It's just a matter of not getting distracted in mid-bake, I think.

...And now you've got me thinking about the only thing that was worth going to Wally's--UNCOOKED BARS!!! Remember those? Ah, memories. :)

I, too know what you're talking about with the brudgies. That's the recipe that earned me a marriage proposal. Ah, memories. XP

Work...blegh. We're dealing with upheaval, up here. The people whom I wish would stay are leaving, and the person whom I wish would either leave of her own free will (or get the boot) is staying, and I'm getting a taste of the old crap I used to have to deal with back in the Frozen North, with the belittling and the comments about me being stupid. And yanno, I've noticed that it doesn't take long for me to start thinking that "yeah, I know they're right when they say it," even though I haven't heard anyone say it for almost a year. I suppose it was too good to be true.

Yet another vote on the pro side of being self-employed. I mean, it won't hurt if I belittle myself; I do it enough already, right? XD

--Sara