Thursday, November 30, 2006

siberia

during the past few years, dan and i have spent time in separate bedrooms. for many years prior to this, we shared a double bed. but neither of us are small people, and when we decided to merge bedrooms again last year, i just pushed together the double bed and my acquired single bed.

when dan saw it, the first thing he said was: "my god, it's like siberia...it just goes on and on." (;

it's actually quite comfortable--mainly because we're both thrashers, and on separate beds, you don't feel your partner shifting around and trying to get comfy. the exception is that if you want to cuddle you have to roll across the divide.

this morning i woke up a bunch--i think i saw every hour after 2 am, and then between 530 and 7 i just laid there, cocooned in my down comforter, listening to the white noise fan, the burbling vaporizer, and the feathers in the comforter crinkling, awake and drowsy. for a while i thought, "i should get up and exercise, since dan was kind enough to fix my exercise machinery." but i couldn't get up the gumption.

i thought about dan's blog, and how sometimes you can be so close to a person that it creates the biggest distance on the planet. i thought about the work on my desk and the time in which i had to complete it. i thought about devin and babies, buying a new house, renewing the lease on our current townhome, how much i wanted it to snow. i thought about the dreams i'd been having, strange and convoluted, not scary but for some reason unsettling. of course i couldn't recall any of them, just that i'd been unsettled.

suddenly i wanted to curl up next to dan, just to be close to him. i laid there thinking about all the things i'd been mulling. i remembered two things, right then:

1. one of dan's issues with me was that i always waited for him to make the first move
2. my friend cari saying that if you're having issues then you have to ask yourself: what are you going to do about it?

it seems like an aggressive stance toward emotional and mental items. but it's something that i think people like me, who wander between distraction and depression, need to do on a regular basis. perhaps everyone does; i don't know. but i suppose i avoid it, because to answer that question, to even take the first step, would mean that the problem would be on its way to being resolved.

resolution, in my world, exists only with dishwashers and sitcoms. it's not something in which i try to take an active part. i'll help it along, but i won't initiate it.

and i think asking that question is the R L Ermey of brain militia.

someone has to police my mental status, and it has to be me.

i'm still learning the ropes, mind you. i'm not able to all the time take control of the runaway train and route it correctly again. but i am trying. and that's something, right?

***
anyway, i lay awake, trying to excise the wandering of my mind and erase the odd sense that i just dreamt i was a half-dressed barbie doll, plastic tits and all.

trying to get over the need in my marrow to cuddle up to dan's sleeping warmth and leech some comfort from that heat.

the two thoughts ran like tandem hamsters through my head, endless circles: start something, kim! what am i going to do about it?

i rolled across the great divide and found a limb; felt like a knee, folded. i didn't much care. the frantic pace of my head slowed a notch. i could feel the heat radiating through the comforter. hear his breathing, smell the familiar scent of sleeping dan.

***
when i got to work this morning i thought about that morning, laying there next to an unconcious man who feels like an extension of my own body, but whose mind is often further away than any hands can grasp. and how mine often does the same to him--hiding, flitting about, crawling into the darkness.

i think about serena--the other day her birthday reminder popped up in my yahoo! mail. lingering there in memory is a dangerous place, especially when it's a memory of pain. i think of my dad's mother a lot too--when i wake in the morning and stand up, the first thing i see is her perfume bottle. then i think of the tender scent of her, wearing that perfume, and i think of her laying on her deathbed, lungs rattling.

it's like biting your lip again, just after you have bitten it the first time.

in the dark, at my desk, in the car, reading a book--those memories overtake me, pull me under. they are just as familiar, much of the time, as the feeling of love and calm, and they beckon me towards that dark end of the pool. can i stop them? can i keep them at bay? the question then becomes: what am i going to do about them?

laying on that bed this morning i wavered--i could have remained on my side, could have suppressed the need to roll closer to dan. it's what i would usually do, the litany of fears: what if i wake him? what if he's angry that i woke him? what if what if what if...

thinking those two things--i CAN start something, i CAN do something about this--that rolled me over, that silenced some of those clamoring thoughts. knowing that i can try--that even if i i fail, i have tried--that is to what i should cling. the other things--the doubts, the pain, the frustration and the apathy--they're still around, old relations i cannot remove from my blood. but i have the choice, i always have the choice, of whether i wish to allow my habitual responses to rule me, or if i choose to question them and martial some random order in my mind.

***
in siberia, i imagine that there is no time to dwell on these things.

i also imagine the alternate: that this morning some person woke and thought in another language something akin to my thoughts, felt like emotions, crossed the space within themself--their own personal siberia.

4 comments:

jedimerc said...

From a literary perspective, I absolutely loved the last paragaph, and actually enjoyed this post from that perpsective. The rest of it, I guess, saddened me a little, especially the last bit. And perhaps more so after reading dan's last post as well. Maybe it is the memory of the past that saddens me and the gulf that has widened since then thanks to time and distance. Truly, I really know nothing of y'alls present lives aside from these snippets I glean, and only know the friends I knew then. And I am sure there was a lot I missed then (mostly my fault I must say), but I know how time changes us and well... I wasn't quite sure what to say.

I always want to hope for the best for those I have known regardless of the situation, and I do hope for the best for y'all.

I also liked the reference to R. Lee Ermy... nice :)

Jacq said...

Good for you for rolling across the divide. My husband and I are two not so large people in a double bed and despite our closer quarters the inches between us can seem like miles at times. I know when things are "not right" between us, that I can lie there wishing that he would just touch my foot with his. Then I wonder why I can't just get closer to him myself. I guess it is the fear of the affection be rejected.

My husband and I usually get along but like any couple we have our bad spots as well. I swallowed my pride once during a particularly uncomfortable time and wrote him a letter telling him that I was worried and loved him and missed him and the things that I appreciated about him. It really touched him and got us back on track.

You and Dan read each others thoughts in your respective blogs. The problem I see with that is when Dan's ruminations pass, you will still remember what he was thinking, even though he is past it. Your pain will not be gone even though the source of it has.

Anonymous said...

I miss you.

dan said...

I honestly swear this is the first chance I've had to read this (obviously in sometime looking at the date stamp).

Sometimes we put too much in the hand of fate... if it's meant to be it will be an all that.

And we tend to forget that our own efforts do determine outcomes. God helps those that help themselves and all that.

Most times, I think, you know that sometimes we're able to spit out in writing what we can't in speech. We've both always been that way. And it's caused some wonderful discussions. Once we have out what's bothering us (the equivalent of literary vomit) talking about it sensically is a viable alternative.

I, for one, have appreciated that. :)

As for Serena, I know your hurt is more for friendship lost than any hurt between us that we have since dealt with. And I know that hurt for lost friendship extends to many of our mutual friends.

For her choices, many days I wish we would have never allowed her in our lives. Yet, I consider how her inhumane actions have allowed us to me more humane to each other.

And that gives me some hope, and some peace.

Peace on you girly. Saturday is coming soon. :)